I feel like with all the injuries to pitchers this year I have been focusing a lot of effort in my reviews to bring your attention to guys you could use as band-aids in your fantasy baseball leagues. In this week’s fantasy baseball thoughts, I tried to focus more on the bats.
Good luck in week 10!
- Matt Adams hit the DL and stud prospect Oscar Taveras got the call and showed Cardinals fans what he can bring to the table. I’m not running to add Taveras because of the depth the Cardinals have, but he might be right in some formats especially deep keeper and dynasty leagues.
- Speaking of top prospects, Gregory Polanco’s call is nearing as the Super Two deadline is probably going to happen this month. At which point I will be running to add Polanco as the Pirates lack the depth of the Cards.
- Devin Mesoraco is healthy and raking again. He is a must own at this point in all formats.
- Jason Heyward is a must start after his week where he posted six runs and RBIs with two HRs and a SB in a pear tree.
- Mike Trout needs a better masseuse as he missed two games at the end of the week with a stiff upper back. Maybe Brett Favre can recommend him one.
- Oswaldo Arcia is back from injury and had a nice week where he posted two HRs with four runs and RBIs. This guy hits the ball and hits it hard, someone to keep on the radar in deeper formats.
- Not to be outdone by the youngster, Josh Willingham also returned and reminded people he could still hit the ball hard, going yard three times.
- Martin Prado showed some life this week. I like Prado as organizational depth in most fantasy formats because of his position versatility.
- Speaking of position versatility, Ryan Zimmerman is nearing a return and rumors are flying he will get playing time at first and in the OF, which is nice.
- It is now June and Robinson Cano is averaging one HR per month.
- Carl Crawford hurt his ankle the other day tracking down a ball in the OF and had to be removed. The Dodgers had Matt Kemp available on the bench and put in Scott Van Slyke instead. That’s not a good sign Kemp owners.
- Ryan Howard hit four home runs this week raising his season total to 10 on the season. He will not give you much anywhere else but if your team needs some cheap home runs here and there, Howard might do the trick.
- Josh Donaldson hit four HRs this week but Edwin Encarnacion one-upped Josh with five.
- Max Scherzer has been scherzing the bed lately
- Trevor Bauer is looking more and more like an ace that people thought he could be when he was drafted 3rd overall in the 2011 draft. Time to get on board if his train is still docked in your league.
- Garrett Richards was horrible looking in his last start as he gave up five runs and could not make it out of the first inning. I am optimistic Richards is still a solid play in most formats with his high K potential.
- Rubby De La Rosa has a solid 2014 debut, but if you are looking at adding a de la Rosa to join your staff, I still am on the Jorge bandwagon.
- I like Mark Buehrle. One of my favorite moments in baseball was watching his perfect game on tv. With Dewayne Wise’s catch and Hawk Harrelson making the call, it was amazing stuff. But Buehrle cannot continue his amazing pace, and I am selling him if I own him in any format.
- I like Alex Cobb right now as a buy low candidate.
- Jacob deGrom hit double digit K’s in his second of two starts this week. Combined he finished with 15 Ks a 2.08 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP, give him a look if you need an arm.
- Wade Miley struck out 20 in his two starts this week edging out Jon Lester who had 19. Well done boys.